Woman-owned and financed, this adult use cannabis dispensary in Carmel-by-the-Sea was a mission-driven endeavor by a savvy real estate developer and committed cannabis advocate. As an MS patient, the client understands the health benefits of cannabis and its many therapeutic modalities. She played a crucial role in the education, acceptance and licensing of cannabis in the Monterey Bay area. This passion was continued throughout the design process as The High Road Design Studio worked to create a dispensary that met her high standards for a distinct brand-driven retail experience.
Once an office space, this 4,000-sq.ft property had the right corner location and architectural elements to transition it into a visible and accessible retail destination. The client understood her market demographics and target audience well, and she was committed to first and foremost serving women. She wanted a sophisticated retail space that offered an educational environment with exceedingly friendly customer service. Her journey with MS as well as her sensitivity to an aging population made accessibility a priority throughout the design process—she was very conscientious that displays, fixtures and surfaces were comfortable and easy to experience for a person in a wheelchair.
From the exterior to the interior, a striking black and white palette sets that stage for a modern and elegant retail experience. Key touchpoints along this dispensary journey include:
- A light filled entryway with a dramatic black and while Carrara marble checked floor is furnished with luxurious banquettes and accented by art with brass lights.
- A custom white lacquered reception desk is anchored by a wall of Carrera marble that features a brand moment with a backlit logo icon. This area is also accented with custom Synchronicity S wallcovering, inspired by the Hermes chain link.
- Influenced by the design of a traditional department store perfumery and make-up counter, the shopping experience is centered around a four-sided, glass-cased concentrates bar. One side of the bar is lowered to accommodate wheelchair accessibility, the other three sides are elevated so merchandise for standing customers is at fingertip level and easy to view.
- Two private consultation areas support an elevated customer experience. The larger room functions as a flex space to accommodate a classroom set-up for private education sessions or as an extension of the retail space. Both private areas include built-in product display shelving, electric fireplaces with beautiful black glass penny tile surrounds, custom Synchronicity S wallcovering, Carrera marble details, brass accents and crystal chandeliers.
- The flower area features three custom floor fixtures underneath two of the signature crystal chandeliers.
- The edibles bar was designed in the High Road signature deli/café style.
- Customers conclude their journey at the black lacquer point of sale area. This counter provides POS and display space so customers that aren’t as mobile, or those who want an expedited shopping experience, are able to view all product categories and featured products in one area of the dispensary.